A study conducted in 2016 by the World Health Organization found that more than 1.9 billion over the age of 18 are overweight, of which more than 650 million are obese. Being overweight is a major concern as it can cause diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, sleep apnea, arthritis and even cancer. Therefore, different weight loss programs and treatments are becoming increasingly popular to help these people with weight loss. Research reports show that the long-term success rate of weight loss programs is only about 20%. One of these studies is hypnosis.
In hypnosis to lose weight, patients are mainly in a trance-like state where the mind is more open to getting feedback and accepting recommendations. This concept is a global condition that creates interest among researchers to determine facts and verify its effectiveness with scientific evidence. In this article, information about whether hypnosis is effective in losing weight.
What is Hypnosis in Slimming?
To understand hypnosis in weight loss, it is important to know about hypnotherapy. According to the American Psychological Association, hypnotherapy, also known as hypnosis, is a procedure that therapists aim to help people relax and focus better. Many people find this technique questionable, but researchers have proven the reality of this practice. With hypnosis, the person achieves a relaxed psychology, so his focus on weight loss is increasing and his studies on weight loss are becoming more beneficial.
Hypnotherapy is popular among clinicians to help patients change their habits, control anxiety and mood disorders, prevent depression, quit smoking and relieve pain. What’s more, patients can learn and do self-hypnosis to help themselves. Inspired by the positive results in the successful application of hypnotherapy, medical doctors are researching ways to use the benefits of hypnosis for weight loss. In the process, a patient’s subconscious mind awakens. This is important because research shows that there is a subconscious mind in influencing decision-making. Therefore, what normally seems difficult or unattainable becomes easier to solve when a person is hypnotized.
Hypnosis allows patients to identify key areas that hinder their success and encourages them to act decisively. This is when patients themselves are ready for change without external pressure. They make better food choices, drop harmful habits and follow a healthy routine. Weight loss hypnotherapy aims to be handled in this way.
Is Hypnosis Effective in Slimming?
Although the common perception of hypnosis is associated with a swinging object that allows the person to have hypnosis, hypnotism is based on science and is beneficial in weight loss. Along with dietary advice, physical exercise and better lifestyle, weight loss with hypnosis is possible. To support this statement, it is important to take a look at some important research results about the effectiveness of weight loss hypno therapy. Here are some of these studies:
• Psychologists and authors David N Bolocofsky published a study report on behavioral weight management through hypnosis in the Journal of Clinical Psychology. The study included 109 patients between the ages of 17 and 68, made over a nine-week period, and divided the participants into two groups. One group only got dietary guidance with recommended exercises for losing weight, while the second group was receiving exercise and dietary support as well as hypnotherapy. Nine weeks later, both groups showed significant improvement in weight loss. However, after the first and second follow-up after eight months and two years respectively, the second group who received hypnotherapy continued to lose weight.
• A study by Cochrane and Friesen involved 60 female candidates for the evaluation of hypnosis related to weight loss. They interviewed the participants and stated that the subjects were not involved in any other weight loss treatment. They divided the group into two groups: those who had hypnosis and those who did not receive hypnosis. Counseling and behavioral treatments were applied to both groups. The study concluded with interesting results and academics were followed up again six months after the treatment ended. Hypnotized patients lost half a kilo within six months of the non-hypnosis group, while they lost an average of 17 kilos.
• In another clinical trial, Italian academics tested two types of hypnosis, one self (self hypnosis) and the second regular or habitual hypnosis. Each individual has been given exercise and behavior recommendations, including dietary assistance. At the end of the study, the result from habitual hypnosis was proven to show more weight loss and reduced calorie intake. Self-hypnosis has also helped improve quality of life and satisfaction among participants.
• A controlled hypnosis trial in the treatment of obesity among patients suffering from obstructive sleep apnea has achieved positive results. According to J Stradling and colleagues at Churchill Hospital, Chest Unit in Oxford, England, the group, which undersped hypnotherapy with stress reduction, showed a small but remarkable weight loss than patients who only received dietary advice.
• In another clinical study involving 60 female candidates, researchers found that both (i) hypno-behavioral therapy and (ii) energetic psychotherapy, i.e. hypno-energetic therapy, and hypno-energetic therapy, body weight, eating disorders, BMI and general body concept were elesed.
How Does Hypnosis Function in Weight Loss?
The scientific explanation of how hypnosis is effective in losing weight can be found in the way the brain processes during hypnotism. Neuroscientists and scientists in the field of cognitive science have revealed interesting facts about how our brains respond to hypnotism. Researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine conducted brain scans of 57 people hypnotized under guidance. They noticed three major changes in the brain during the procedure. These differences are as follows:
• Decreased activity was detected in the dorsal angular singulatta. According to david spiegel, senior author of the study, this is because during hypnotism, the mind stopped worrying about other things.
• Connections between the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and the insula have increased. Spiegel explains this as a brain-body connection in which the brain knows and controls what is in the body.
• Separation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex with posterior cingulat cortex and medial prefrontal was seen. In simple words, it represents the dissience between an action and its reflection. This makes it possible for patients to actually listen to and follow the recommendations.
Disadvantages of Using Hypnosis in Weight Loss
So far, there are no reports about hypnosis applied to weight loss. Disadvantages related to the application of hypnosis are on the general possible. These disadvantages can be listed as follows:
• Hypnotic suggestions can immediately change the perceived color of objects.
• Hypnotic recommendations can create visual hallucinations.
• Audio-visual hallucinations can also occur where subjectes based on hypnotic suggestions can hear and see suggested sounds and objects
• Participants may experience amnesia after temporary hypnosis
• In weight loss hypnosis, once again, there is no evidence of disadvantages. It should be noted that a miracle should not be expected in the practice of hypnosis in place to lose weight. This is scientific therapy and should not be expected to lose weight overnight. To achieve the desired goals, patience and consistency must be made throughout the process.
Other Benefits of Using Hypnosis in Weight Loss
Hypnotherapy not only helps to lose extra weight, but also provides higher self-esteem, confidence, satisfaction, acceptance and self-control. A research group led by Volery and other French scientists has stalled on hypnosis, psychotherapy and cognitive behavioral therapy in the treatment of depression associated with excessive body weight, anxiety and psychological difficulties. In addition to helping to lose weight, this specific form of hypnotherapy helps in other ways. These benefits are as follows:
• Helps manage anxiety and stress
• Can help treat diabetes
• Organizes dietary intake and treats eating disorders
• Strengthens self-feeling
• Helps to lose weight in the long run
Hypnosis has many benefits for losing weight. It increases confidence, makes patients disciplined and helps with weight loss. It should be noted that hypnosis is more effective when used in addition to a proper diet, exercise and an advanced lifestyle.
Someone who cares about your health and makes an effort to access all information about health.
No More Posts